Or you might call it: those things missing, and those maddening.
For Palo Alto, like Baja, has both. As I reflect – these being notes for further reflection:
- Friends: many more and more closer here
- Pace of life: far too fast here, and a bit too slow there
- Wealth and consumerism: far, far, far too much here, and just about right there
- Intellectual stimulation: here, hands down. Where else can I go to a dinner party and have a long conversation with a world fertility expert about the science and ethics of human embryo selection for single-cell disorders
- Volleyball: again, here hands down.
- Weather: here because September and October in Baja are impossibly hot
- Driving and roads: here, here
- Personal challenges: different in each place, but more different, more exciting, more personal growth there
- Internet connection: no comparison, here
- Cultural curiosities and learning: there, of course