Where we stay:
- El Capitan Canyon – really the coolest place to stay, but it’s pretty far out of town.
- Franciscan Inn – inexpensive, very convenient, easy to walk everywhere, but it’s not plush by any means
- Eagle Inn – same as Franciscan
- Others – http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33045-Santa_Barbara_California-Hotels.html
- But also great camping north of Santa Barbara – Gaviota, El Capitan, Refugio and others
Restaurants – Low end
- Super Rica Mexican on Milpas – my favorite on the low end. Run by a charming guy whoÕs passion is authentic grilled Mexican dishes.
- Pollo Norteno on Milpas
- Cajun Kitchen for breakfast
- Brown Pelican Restaurant on HendryÕs Beach for breakfast
- Lots of other ethnic restaurants on Milpas street
Restaurants – Upscale
- CaDario – my favorite on the high end
- Bacchio on State Street
- ZeloÕs on State Street
- The Bay Cafe
- The Peruvian restaurant on State Street (canÕt quite recall the name – Pappagios or something)
Places to Hang Out
- East Beach volleyball courts, Goleta Beach volleyball courts, UCSB Thunderdome
- State Street in general – great place to stroll.
- Arlington Theater – great place for movies.
- El Encanto Bar – very charming place on the Riviera, bar at harbor (but itÕs always crowded)
- Santa Barbara County Courthouse – lovely building and gardens
- Santa Barbara Art Museum
- Santa Barbara Botanical Gardens
- Santa Barbara Zoo
- Stearns Wharf
- Rent bikes and ride the beach
- Hike Cachuma
- Art fair all day Sunday along East Beach
- Could also take a day trip out the Santa Cruz Island – http://www.islandpackers.com/
Where to Get a Pulse on the Community
- Santa Barbara Independent – check for current events – http://independent.com/events/
Pismo/Avila Beach/Morro Bay
- Where I’d stay: Avila Beach, because it’s a lot cooler than Pismo. I’ probably stay at the Avila Village Inn because I hate spending a lot of money on hotels
- I also like the Inn at Morro Bay – great location.
- We consistently stop at Guiseppe’s Restaurant in Pismo stop for dinner on our way to Santa Barbara.